The Civil Society Education Coalition
since July, 2000.
Getting to Know Who We Are
In its advocacy programmes, the coalition facilitates capacity building and training of civil society organizations, and sensitizes and mobilizes local grassroots structures such as Parents' Teacher Associations (PTAs) and School Management Committees (SMCs) and communities in order to effectively contribute towards implementation of education plans at national, regional, district and area levels.
We are currently being financially supported by Trocaire Malawi, Idasa, ANCEFA, and OSISA.
Governance & Organizational Structure
The Council is supreme decision making body of CSEC and consists of the Coalition’s member organizations. The Council meets at least once a year for the Annual General Meeting although 2/3 member organization may call for an extra ordinary meeting.
CSEC Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees for the Coalition are the legal custodians of the coalition on behalf of its members. The Board of Trustees has have powers given to it under the law to ensure that the organization and its operations are in accordance with the law. The Board of Trustees meets with Chairperson of the Executive Committee and National Coordinator at least twice a year.
Current members of the Board of Trustees:
- Prof. Alfred Mtenje - University of Malawi
- Mrs. Margaret Ali - Save the Children
- Dr Dorothy. Nampota - Center for Education Research and Training.
- Dr. Kachiwanda - University of Malawi
- Mr. Amos Tizora - CICOD
Functions of` Board of Trustees include:
- Formulate policies and give directions to the activities of the Coalition
- Ensure that proper books of accounts are kept and audited once in each financial year.
- Reviewing audited financial statement and assets of the Network especially the manner in which the capital and the income have been dealt with during the financial year in question and thus circulate the signed audit report at the Annual General Meeting to all members and other interested bodies.
CSEC Executive Committee
The Executive Committee is a management organ of the Coalition appointed by the Council and it consists of nine members from member organizations. The members of the Executive Committee are drawn from among Directors of member organizations and run their offices for 2 year term. The committee performs the following duties: -
- To transact the business of the Board of Trustees in between Board meetings
- To generally supervise and provide policy guidance to the Secretariat including receiving and vetting of reports.
- To exercise disciplinary functions and make recommendations to the Board of Trustees.
- To appoint signatories to the bank account of the Network subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.
- To recruit and dismiss members of staff for the Secretariat upon approval of Board of Trustees.
- The executive members shall have powers to constitute and dissolve sub committees with approval from the Council.
The secretariat is the headquarters of the Coalition and is responsible for coordinating and facilitating the activities of CSEC. The secretariat is headed by an Executive Director supported by programmes, finance and administration officers to run the day-to-day activities of the coalition. Among other responsibilities of the Secretariat is responsible for implementing objectives and activities of the Coalition as mandated by the Council.
District Education Networks
The National Coalition established 27 District Education Networks (DENs) across the country as a way of decentralizing and carrying out some of its activities with and at the grassroots. The secretariat works with DENs, and implements some of its functions through the District Networks such research, community mobilization, budget monitoring and advocacy.
Calendar of Events
Check our timely events throughout the year.
Our gallery showcases pictures of projects we have been involved in.
Socialize with us
You can find for information about us through all the popular social networking websites.
Chitukula Road, Area 47/4/ 719, Box 30736, Lilongwe 3.
+2651762210 / +2651762212